#Random
This is a place to discuss all things outside of Splunk, its products, and its use cases.

Spam-reducing idea

aweitzman
Motivator

For the first two weeks after registration, or until the user posts their first question (whichever is longer) require all posts by new users to be moderated.

Because this is getting ridiculous.

0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

thanks, Aweitzman. i know it's frustrating to see the spam come in. however, we've got a good group of moderators around, and most spam posts are removed quickly.

unfortunately, we do not want to simply hold up posts by every new user--the great majority of new users are real, new Splunk users, and need to get their question posted, and fast--holding that up as their first experience with the site would be really bad, and they probably wouldn't come back. one of the best things about Answers is that quick response--25% of all questions asked are answered within an hour, and another 25% are answered within 12 hours.

however, we used to allow new users to post only twice before achieving a given karma level, and for some reason, this was rolled back--i'm going to look into getting that set up again.

thanks for your patience--we are paying attention, and we are trying to make it better.

acharlieh
Influencer

@piebob to moderators: "It's dangerous to go alone, take this"

banhammer

aweitzman
Motivator

I appreciate that, but just as I was posting that, more than half of the "recent badges" were "validated emails" that had been crossed-out, presumably because the users were removed for spamming. And very few of those post more than twice, so that doesn't seem like much of a barrier.

Just trying to make this a less spammy place.

0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

they're only posting twice or less because i'm watching the log in realtime and smacking them down before they can post more.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...