Splunk Search

Sorting timewrap output

jsburt

I doing a search and timecharting the results which I then stream into timewrap.

My timechart contains (for instance) bob.com, charlie.com and delta.com

After I pipe this into timewrap, I get the following ordering:
bob.com.2018_01_02, charlie.com_2018_01_02, delta.com_2018_01_02, bob.com_2018_01_09, charlie.com_2018_01_09, delta.com_2018_01_09

Why aren't I seeing results from "today" 2018_01_23?

And how can I sort the columns so the "bob"s, "charlie"s, and "delta"s are adjacent to each other?

My SPL is as follows:
... | eval lc_domain = lower(metadata_recipient_email_domain) | timechart limit=0 span=1d count by metadata_recipient_email_domain | timewrap 1week | sort metadata_recipient_email_domain

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Try this
... | eval lc_domain = lower(metadata_recipient_email_domain) | timechart limit=0 span=1d count by metadata_recipient_email_domain | timewrap 1week | sort- _time | fields _time bob* charlie* delta*

let me know if get results!

0 Karma

jsburt

Thank you for this suggestion.
It seems as though this solution sorts the resultant rows in time order.
I really want to change the sort order of the columns themselves so all the "bob" columns appear next to each other (as opposed to the default order where each time period is next to each other).

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

try this

... | eval lc_domain = lower(metadata_recipient_email_domain) | timechart limit=0 span=1d count by metadata_recipient_email_domain | timewrap 1week | sort- _time | fields _time bob* charlie* delta*
0 Karma

jsburt

This worked like a champ - thank you.
And since I don't know all the column names, I was able to use "fields _time, *" and the columns sort correctly.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

If you deem a posted answer as valid and helpful to your solving of the issue, please accept said answer so that this question no longer appears open.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...