Splunk Search

Snap to previous Friday

jclemons7
Path Finder

Hello,

I have the following time modifier, which I was hoping would give me the previous Friday as a static date, but it doesn't for obvious reasons.

earliest=-7d@w5 latest=-7d@w6 | eval TimeStamp=strftime(strptime(timestamp, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"),"%m/%d/%Y %H") | dedup TimeStamp | table TimeStamp

What I'm trying to do is craft a query that will always pull the previous Friday (or whatever full weekday I chose).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If you're just looking to get the date, from today, for a specific weekday, you can try this run anywhere sample query. Just update the weekday filter in the where clause.

| gentimes start=-7 | table starttime | where strftime(starttime,"%a")="Fri" | eval timestamp=strftime(starttime,"%m/%d/%Y %H")
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try w5-7d@d and w6-7d@d

0 Karma

jclemons7
Path Finder

Thanks so much for your response,

I think this is similar to the problem I had before.. so, in my query I wanted previous Sunday let's say.. so using your syntax I wrote this:

earliest=@w0-7d latest=@w1-7d | eval TimeStamp=strftime(strptime(timestamp, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"),"%m/%d/%Y %H") | dedup TimeStamp | table TimeStamp

But that returns 3/27 for my date and what I'm really looking for would be 4/3 if run today (4/6) if that makes any sense..

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, so do @w0@d and @w1@d.

0 Karma

jclemons7
Path Finder

Additionally.. if I run it today for Wednesday, I wouldn't want it to consider today and only return partial results.. I was looking for it to return last Wednesday..

I know in SQL this is tricky, but was hoping Splunk had something that would get me like 90% there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...