Deployment Architecture

Should I use Puppet or the Splunk deployment server to deploy apps?

elof
Path Finder

Should I use the Splunk Deployment server to deploy and manage my apps, or should I turn it off completely and only use Puppet instead?

I already manage all my machines using Puppet. Therefore, the Splunk Deployment server is a bit redundant...

Are there any great benefits using the Splunk Deploy server anyhow, instead of solely using Puppet?

I see two possible designs:
1)
I use Puppet to manage the Deploy Server (like the files in etc/deployment-apps/, etc/system/local/serverclass.conf, etc) and use the Splunk Deploy server to deploy the apps.

or

2)
I use Puppet to manage all the apps and files needed, and simply use Puppet to deploy them as usual. No Splunk Deploy-server is needed.

Which alternative should I choose?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

If you're already using puppet to manage your machines, I would use that to deploy Splunk Apps asa well. Splunk doesn't really care if you use the deployment server or not, they just offer it in case you don't have a ready-made solution available. Honestly, you will probably get more tunability out of your puppet implementation than the deployment server.

View solution in original post

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

If you're already using puppet to manage your machines, I would use that to deploy Splunk Apps asa well. Splunk doesn't really care if you use the deployment server or not, they just offer it in case you don't have a ready-made solution available. Honestly, you will probably get more tunability out of your puppet implementation than the deployment server.

elof
Path Finder

My own thoughts was going in this direction. Puppet can do a reload of the splunk-process if needed, etc, so I guess there's no great advanyage in using the Deploy server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...