Splunk Search

Serching Development Log Files

sjjohns

So I am brand new to Splunk. I just finished setting up a Ubuntu server for indexing and have got all my forwarders working just fine. When it came to indexing a log file from a development test I get stuck on how to search for what I want. For example the log files look something like this:

Test1: Total: 3 Succeeded: 3 Failed: 0

Test2: Total: 5 Succeeded: 4 Failed: 1

Test3: Total: 3 Succeeded: 3 Failed: 0

I would like to be able to know how many time the whole deployment test succeeded. If it failed which test it failed on, and graph the results. I have had difficulties trying to get the numbers after Total, Succeeded, and Failed in to integers I have tried tonumber and I think it has worked. But after that I am not sure how to get it to reference the Test number it goes with

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Here is a search time field extraction using the rex command.You could also declare this in props.conf using EXTRACT.

... | rex field=_raw "(?<test_id>\w+):\s\w+:\s(?<total_count>\d+)\s\w+:\s(?<success_count>\d+)\s\w+:\s(?<fail_count>\d+)"

Then, with the fields extracted, there are many different potential searches , here are a couple to get you started.

"how many time the whole deployment test succeeded"

... | stats sum(total_count) as "Total Tests"  sum(success_count) as "Succeeded"  sum(fail_count) as "Failed"

"If it failed which test it failed on"

...| where fail_count > 0 | stats sum(fail_count) as "Failed Tests" by test_id

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Here is a search time field extraction using the rex command.You could also declare this in props.conf using EXTRACT.

... | rex field=_raw "(?<test_id>\w+):\s\w+:\s(?<total_count>\d+)\s\w+:\s(?<success_count>\d+)\s\w+:\s(?<fail_count>\d+)"

Then, with the fields extracted, there are many different potential searches , here are a couple to get you started.

"how many time the whole deployment test succeeded"

... | stats sum(total_count) as "Total Tests"  sum(success_count) as "Succeeded"  sum(fail_count) as "Failed"

"If it failed which test it failed on"

...| where fail_count > 0 | stats sum(fail_count) as "Failed Tests" by test_id
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...