#Random
This is a place to discuss all things outside of Splunk, its products, and its use cases.

Selling the idea of Splunk using sample logs?

kallu
Communicator

Has anyone run into nice samples of logs with debug instructions that could be used for demoing Splunk for those who haven't yet seen how great product it is 🙂
I know I can install forwarders and create myself a free SplunkStorm account but then running applications to generate meaningful logs is more than trivial task. If someone has already done this and is willing to share his/hers logs with documentation what was happning and how it was debugged with Splunk, that would be a great help in selling the idea of using Splunk.

Or maybe Splunk has this already available somewhere, but I've just missed it?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Drainy
Champion

The reason I asked was that there is a sales demo available on the partner portal, they might be willing to pass it over if you have a chat with them though.

Like Dave says, the best approach is to build your own, you can wow and impress with your own know-how and create some cool dashboards.
There is an event generator available at;

https://github.com/coccyx/eventgen

Its still under dev I believe but should do the job, otherwise build your own

View solution in original post

Drainy
Champion

The reason I asked was that there is a sales demo available on the partner portal, they might be willing to pass it over if you have a chat with them though.

Like Dave says, the best approach is to build your own, you can wow and impress with your own know-how and create some cool dashboards.
There is an event generator available at;

https://github.com/coccyx/eventgen

Its still under dev I believe but should do the job, otherwise build your own

DaveSavage
Builder

Meant to add...build-your-own is worth the investment. You are likely to be called upon to demo Splunk A LOT. It's popularity goes viral inside a business. After that you could manage take-up as proof of concept projects.

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

As an Architect, I had the same challenge. I took the long route and created a test bed. Finding log data isn't likely to be your issue - machines and appliances are chatty enough. Once you have your first instances up and running you will have more than enough! 😉
The benefit of using your own data is relevance. Relevance to the business and therefore recognition.
If its a general demo capability then attend a Splunk Webinar. Splunk offer the content.
Lastly - perhaps consider talking to your Splunk partner - they usually have a lot of collateral, cleaned up and could help?

0 Karma

kallu
Communicator

Just a eager to sell it into my company. Does it make a difference?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Are you a Splunk partner or just eager to sell it into your company? 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...