Splunk Search

Segregate data base on IP Address

withool000

I am looking for the best solution for segregate data into multiple indexes.
There are IP addresses (very vary) being generated into a file which need to be segregated into a specific index.

The only way I can think of is using REGEX in transforms.conf but I am not sure how to regex the IP pattern from file.
Or there might be some better solution for this scenario.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the inputs.conf file you can easily setup these filters at your forwarders inputs.conf.
By setting the index at the forwarder you have the least compute load on your indexers.
Use a deployment server to send custom inputs.conf to different fowarders/

Most easily just setting a value for index = foo in all the inputs.conf stanza that you want to send to foo
Then deploy this inputs.conf as an app foo/ to the fowarders that match that IP or host addreses. For the systems that you want to send to index=bar, do the same thing, create an inputs.conf that has index=bar set for all the data you want to go to bar. Then create an app called bar/ and deploy that to the hosts which should report to index=bar. Your deployment server controls what systems get Foo vs Bar app. This way to can dynamically change groups and scale your deployment without having to touch each system individually.

Check out the spec file for inputs.conf because there are many options for customizing where to send your data.
host_regex =
acceptFrom =
whitelist =
blacklist =

Check out the Getting Data In docs about white and black listing for mapping to different indexes.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Whitelistorblacklistspecificincomingdata

Check out the Routing and Data Filtering section
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

As simple regex for match IP would be \b\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\b but this will match any and all IP addresses in the event. What is unique about the IP that need to be routed?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...