Alerting

SMS Alerting

jamesklassen
Path Finder

My group manages the email servers at our corporation, and we receive email alerts from Splunk just fine. But we need to be alerted if our WAN/Internet connection goes down, and obviously we then wouldn't be getting our email alerts then. We need to receive SMS alerts when email alerts can't be sent.

My idea is to put a modem into our server with software like PageGate (http://www.notepage.net/pagegate.htm) that can send SMS alerts using scripts, which Splunk can do. Has anyone else done something similar? Would you recommend other SMS software?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jamesklassen
Path Finder

I ended up using PageGate Pro + Splunk scripts on scheduled searches. It uses a modem installed in the server to send text messages. When there's a major datacenter outage I may not be able to rely on cloud based services for sending the text messages. This solution has proved to be extremely successful, as I'm the organization's Exchange Administrator and obviously can't depend on email alerts or a datacenter's WAN being up for my alerting.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jitendra0101
Engager

Can you please help me to fire an basic alert which sends a sms to user using Twilio? I configured Twilio but a I am unable to fire an alert.

Thanks & Regards,
Jitendra Gupta

0 Karma

jamesklassen
Path Finder

I ended up using PageGate Pro + Splunk scripts on scheduled searches. It uses a modem installed in the server to send text messages. When there's a major datacenter outage I may not be able to rely on cloud based services for sending the text messages. This solution has proved to be extremely successful, as I'm the organization's Exchange Administrator and obviously can't depend on email alerts or a datacenter's WAN being up for my alerting.

0 Karma

code1224

The best way is to use http://WeekWill.com. It sends out SMS alerts or make a call to you as soon as you receive an email in maximum of 30 seconds. Try it. It works great for me.

0 Karma

vigneshmadesh
Explorer

Hi,

How to installed the app in splunk. can you tell me app name weekwill.

Thanks and regards,
Vignesh

0 Karma

Dimitri_McKay
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In my experience is that customers use another product to do this such as AlarmPoint--or just email the email address of their SMS capable phone (1234567890@wireless.att.net or some such).

vigneshmadesh
Explorer

Hi Dimitri,

How to download the app in splunk.

Thanks and Regards,
Vignesh

0 Karma

docyes

I created this application a while back for push notifications using twilio:
https://github.com/docyes/splunk_push

This should give you enough boiler plate for pagegate integration (if you do use pagegate let me know and I will integrate the changes into splunk_push).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...