Splunk Dev

Run Splunk under splunk user instead of root

vin02
Path Finder

Currently my environment using splunk as root user, I want to Run Splunk under splunk user instead of root and run splunk web on 8443.
What is the procedure to implement the same and what will be the impact?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You probably want to set your SPLUNK_OS_USER in the /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf file:
# If SPLUNK_OS_USER is set, then Splunk service will only start
# if the 'splunk [re]start [splunkd]' command is invoked by a user who
# is, or can effectively become via setuid(2), $SPLUNK_OS_USER.
# (This setting can be specified as username or as UID.)
#
# SPLUNK_OS_USER

SPLUNK_OS_USER=splunk

First you will need to re-own the files back to the splunk user in your installation directory.

The limitations would be:
ulimits may be set differently for the splunk user (this can of course be changed for the splunk user)
You cannot listen on a privileged port number below 1024

I've never found either of these items to be an issue, if you need a syslog listener on port 514 for example you can run that as a separate process which runs as root...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You probably want to set your SPLUNK_OS_USER in the /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf file:
# If SPLUNK_OS_USER is set, then Splunk service will only start
# if the 'splunk [re]start [splunkd]' command is invoked by a user who
# is, or can effectively become via setuid(2), $SPLUNK_OS_USER.
# (This setting can be specified as username or as UID.)
#
# SPLUNK_OS_USER

SPLUNK_OS_USER=splunk

First you will need to re-own the files back to the splunk user in your installation directory.

The limitations would be:
ulimits may be set differently for the splunk user (this can of course be changed for the splunk user)
You cannot listen on a privileged port number below 1024

I've never found either of these items to be an issue, if you need a syslog listener on port 514 for example you can run that as a separate process which runs as root...

0 Karma

vin02
Path Finder

How to use iptables prerouting to forward request coming on port 443 to port 8443?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...