Splunk Search

Returning results only if field has more than one unique name

santorof
Path Finder

I am looking to create a unique alert that would look at virus activity. The idea is to get a real time alert in a 60 second window if the field signature is reoccurring across two separate logs that both have different (computer_name) which could signal an outbreak possibly.

signature is the indicator of what type of virus it is and computer_name is the comp name.
This is the general idea: ...| bucket _time span=1m | dedup signature | (Only return results if computer_name has different results) | count >2

I cant seem to figure out a splunk command to only return results if the computer_name field does not have a unique specific name. I know I could utilize != but not sure what command would help me with this.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about something like this.

...| bucket _time span=1m | stats count(computer_name) as computerCount by signature | where computerCount > 2 | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about something like this.

...| bucket _time span=1m | stats count(computer_name) as computerCount by signature | where computerCount > 2 | ...
---
0 Karma

santorof
Path Finder

Not sure if it works. Its saying there are events but no results are being outputted

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try my modified answer.

---
0 Karma

santorof
Path Finder

The logic makes sense but Splunk says I have 8 results but nothing being outputted. Just running a basic query against the source type I have the same amount of events in a given period as what the alert is telling me

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you add table computer_name computerCount after the where command, do you see output? Do you see events in Verbose Mode?

---
0 Karma

santorof
Path Finder

I get a count of computers but nothing on the left hand side under computer_name

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try changing the stats command to stats values(computer_name) as Computers count(computer_name) as computerCount by signature.

---
0 Karma

santorof
Path Finder

Seems I have solid output. Over a given 24 hours I have 4 different signatures where each signature has multiple computers and on the right hand side is a total count. What seems weird is if there are only 2 computers for one signature the total computer count is 15. This probably means 15 total events in-between those two 2 computers.

What I am seeing though is one signature for one computer. I should only be seeing output if there are a total of two computers found for that signature. computerCount >2 should be taking care of that it seems.

Edit: Just noticed computerCount >2 will activate if one computer pops up multiple times in a 60 second window

0 Karma

santorof
Path Finder

Got it. Verified the results and im good to go. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...