Splunk Search

Retrieve a section of result with start and end string

chiwee

In Splunk, is it possible to initiate a search where I like to define a start and end string? For example I have a whole list of data. I am interested in capturing a section of those information.

The start string will always start with say "Error" and end of "Completed".

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

A couple of ways to approach this depending on how you interpret your question.

This will capture the data between ERROR and COMPLETED from the raw indexed event and keep only those events in the search results where a match occurred.

index=foo | rex field=_raw "^.*ERROR(?<iwantthispart>.*)COMPLETED.*$" | where iwantthispart != "" | table iwantthispart

chiwee

Hi Damien,

I am trying to edit my question to give clearer picture but always got an issue with the captcha.

Here is what I am planning to accomplish. I am doing some capturing of configuration from my network equipment. (You may see the sample of configuration below).

line vty 0 4
access-class 5 in
exec-timeout 5 0
transport input ssh
line vty 5 8
access-class 5 in
exec-timeout 15 0
transport input ssh
line vty 9 15
transport input none
!

Therefore the start line will be always “line vty” and end with “!”

Wonder is this achievable?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...