Splunk Search

Restrict timechart to business hours

jmerry_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am trying to create a timechart to count data for 7 days during business hours. I have the search working fine my problem is the user does not want to see business hours on the x-axis.

sample
index=_internal|bucket _time span=1h|where date_hour>=8 and date_hour<16 |timechart count by sourcetype
alt text

I do not want to make it continuous since the users assume the connection represents real values. Im looking to only show 8am-4pm each day on the x-axis.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

When you say "the user does not want to see business hours", what do you mean?

0 Karma

akocak
Contributor

it doesn't give you exactly what you need. however, representation wise, I believe this is not too far from what you need:

index=_internal 
| bucket _time span=1h 
| where date_hour>=8 and date_hour<16 
| sort date_mday
| eval mhour = date_wday.":".date_hour
| chart count over mhour by sourcetype

You should also note that, timechart command would have its own span and I am not sure how 1h would work in weekly chart.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yea, timechart will increment dynamically or based on the span attribute in the rendering. But you might have to avoid timechart to avoid the unwanted time periods. Therefore, you're essentially just doing what @akocak described: making a generic chart for which you happen to have the x-axis as time, but Splunk just treats it like an arbitrary value list.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...