Security

Receiving this warning: "cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/watchdog"

dataops
Engager

Why am I receieving this error?

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/watchdog"

Pid file "/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/splunkd.pid" unreadable.: Permission denied
Pid file "/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/splunkd.pid" unreadable.: Permission denied
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This can happen if Splunk is run as root and then run as a non-root user without changing the ownership of all files in /opt/splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Agree with Rich, I've seen this behavior in the very same circumstances.

chown the pid file to the user running splunk.
e.g.
chown splunk:splunk /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/splunkd.pid
cycle splunk

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

Anam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dataops

Thank you for posting your question on Splunk Answers. In order for experts to help you, can you please provide more information in context that resulted in you seeing this error? Were you making changes to the authorize.conf file?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...