Splunk Search

Received event for unconfigured/disabled index... : When was this event received?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have blue bar notification in each view informing me that an event was received "for unconfigured/disabled index='sample'..."

How would I be able to find when these events were received?

Tags (2)
2 Solutions

the_wolverine
Champion

If you're seeing this error, its probably still occurring. Most likely there is some scheduled summary search that is trying to write to your (disabled or non-existent) sample index. If you need assistance tracking it down, please feel free to file a support ticket.

View solution in original post

Lowell
Super Champion

Have you upgraded any of your forwarders recently? Sometimes the install process triggers the sample logs from sample_app to be forwarded again. (In my case, it was probably because I had deleted the entire sample_app folder, instead of disabling the app via local/apps.conf file; but it's possible you're seeing something similar.)

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The sample_app was a demo app shipped with splunk.
It was shipped with some sample logs, and the configuration to create the sample index.
This app is usually disabled by default. (But was enabled on old versions of splunk 4.0 or 4.1)

It seems that in your case, the app is disabled on the indexer, but is enabled on at least one of your forwarders. Therefore it is sending some sample logs to an index that doesn't exists on the indexer, and causes the Error message.

Please login to the host mentioned on the error message, and disable the sample app :

• from the Web Interface
  • or the command line: splunk disable app sample_app
  • or by editing the configuration and restarting to apply
    in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/sample_app/local/app.conf add
    [install]
    state = disabled

Lowell
Super Champion

Have you upgraded any of your forwarders recently? Sometimes the install process triggers the sample logs from sample_app to be forwarded again. (In my case, it was probably because I had deleted the entire sample_app folder, instead of disabling the app via local/apps.conf file; but it's possible you're seeing something similar.)

Voltaire
Communicator

I have a similar error. The splunkd.logs files reported the "received event" I believe I finally found the answer for my "unconfigured/disabled index=' conundrum, with the generous assistance of Splunk support. Scenario: I upgraded to 4.1.2 on our main indexer, and a windows server 2003 SPLUNK LWF. In my case it was a different index name. I disabled the indexes on both systems. Then created new indexes, and used the new indexes on both systems. Then restarted both instances.

After I received the same error with the "unconfigured/disabled index=' I went back to the LWF /splunk/etc/system/local to check the conf files. I compared the recent confs with *.conf.old (splunk backups during the upgrade)

I noticed that my inputs.conf on the LWF still had a reference to the original offensive index that I had disabled, and subsequently deleted. Ok thats odd, so I simply changed this value to the new index name. (see below)

Change inputs.conf from

1. [default]
  2. host = Myhost.wtf.wth
  3. index = $SPLUNK_DB/qdb/db (old) changed value to (new )index = $SPLUNK_DB/dbase/db

Also verified the path to the DBs for good measure. I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

V

heterodyned
Path Finder

This is the only issue ..I still dont figure..

1.) Our splunk main indexer was upgraded to 4.1.3,
2.) Our windows forwarders remained to version 3.4.x, and they still did have the configured index which didnt exist in the main indexer..
3.)Only after upgrading the windows boxes , I actually saw these error messages...

0 Karma

heterodyned
Path Finder

Thanks a lot . this helped....\m/

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The error you are reporting implies that there are events being directed to an index (called sample) that does not exist. You should check your input settings to see if any are configured to be sent to that particular index.

As the wolverine has stated, there is the possibility that you have told your summary indexing to send to a nonexistent index. You should review your saved searches that have summary indexing enabled to see if they are sending to a summary index that exists.

the_wolverine
Champion

If you're seeing this error, its probably still occurring. Most likely there is some scheduled summary search that is trying to write to your (disabled or non-existent) sample index. If you need assistance tracking it down, please feel free to file a support ticket.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...