Getting Data In

Reading WindowsEvent logs from UNC path

AndreasLP
Explorer

Hi,

I have some issues with setting up Splunk to read a WindwsEvent file stored on a network share. It seems like the setup is fine, but no files shows up in Splunk and nothing is indexed.

From the exact same destination I'm able to read windows update logs without any problems, so it shouldn't be any problems with the credentials. All files have the same permissions.

Since this is my first tme setting up Splunk I hope i have made some simple misstake which is easily fixed.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

neklov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

AndreasLP
Explorer

It turned out I was restricted by a very exotic Group Policy Setting. When that was corrected, everything works fine.

Thanks for all the answers and quick help!

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

Adding to the above the splunk which has access to the unc path need to be installed on Windows Vista, 7 or Server 2008/2008 R2 to read .evtx

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

AndreasLP
Explorer

All access to the server is firewalled except for the network share where the logs are put as evtx files. I'm not allowed to connect directly to the originator. The files on the share are file dumps from the event log.

neklov_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What access path is restricted?

0 Karma

AndreasLP
Explorer

Unfortunately that access path is restricted, I have only the UNC path to work with 😞

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...