I opened a ticket yesterday and received a Splunk Reset License via email from Support. Instructions are included and easy to follow.
The one thing that they don't tell you to do is after you apply this reset license you then need to go and revert back to your previous license. Manager » Licensing » Change license group -> select Free license.
The license sent to me was a 1MB enterprise license, which (of course) immediately was in violation. Though I could search and view info again. Once I change back to the Free License, the violations all went away and I am in business again.
I've been banging my head against the wall (and Splunk) trying to figure out how I possibly could be exceeding my license with logging 4 systems. Twas fun to troubleshoot since I cannot do query License Usage or do a License Report because Search disabled. Fun. Anyway...
I saw this post while going through the forum working on this problem and I have the same exact issue. Thanks for posting this. I never would have thought that Splunk would have flip my license over to something that was going to simply auto-violate repeatedly until locked out for 30 days (actually 30 days from the date you catch it).
I think I saw a few posts where folks were having licensing issues and it's probably exactly this.
Needless to say, I am interested in the solution as well.
I've seen mention of a License Reset. Which I am going to look into more now.