Training + Certification Discussions

Query about Architect Exam (recertification)

koshyk
Super Champion

folks,
For the final Architect Exam, can you please confirm

1. If the Architect Exam is multiple choice? (or any other format?)
  2. Any books/materials to look for sample questions?

thanks in advance

1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, it is multiple choice. The are class pre-requisites that provide you with slides that should contain every detail to answer every question correctly. The test was heavy on CLI syntax with very minor variations for each answer (which I though was not reasonable) and also log details from index=_internal (e.g. DS/DC details).

View solution in original post

kundeng
Path Finder

I did pass the architect exam today but my experience was not very good. Here are a few things that you need to know:

1. MAC OS Mojave is not working with the test system (as of 09/07/2019), and thus you need to find a windows PC. I was fortunate to have a spare windows laptop otherwise I would have to reschedule it.

2. The exam software jumps in and out of its existence without any prompt on windows, which is scary. All windows will suddenly close and then reopen etc. So be patient.

3. The test result is not shown on your screen, when you click "existing the survey". So you don't know whether you really have finished the test or not. I waited for about 5 minutes to get an email that informs me how to check the result.

4. The proctor never showed up when the exam begins, and then in the middle of the exam, he opened up chat window to tell me that my head is not completely in the video recording.

All in all, none of these should affect your performance, if you have studied for the exams. But I would say the test experience does need improving.

0 Karma

kschmidt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Regarding the Mac OS Mojave issues... recently, it was unfortunately discovered that the Pearson VUE exam delivery platform was not working correctly with Mac OS Mojave for those seeking online proctoring. Pearson VUE has since deployed a settings update and there should be no issues moving forward when using Mac OS Mojave.

For additional help via Pearson VUE: https://home.pearsonvue.com/splunk/contact
As always, additional issues/queries can be sent to certification@splunk.com

0 Karma

rafamss
Contributor

@koskyk, I did the architect re-certification at the last Saturday and here is what I did to achieve this:

1. I studied hard for almost two weeks (lectures);
  2. Developed a simulated exam with exactly 90 questions (using the official training materials I had);
  3. I did the simulated exam in a clean and quite place with the same rules of the official exam - 90 minutes to 90 questions;

This steps helped me to achieve the re-certification - I didn't do nothing beside this but I'm currently work like an Architect and Admin and it's help as well.

The exam have questions about use of commands, scenarios, types of clustering, components, basically what is described in the Blueprint document: https://www.splunk.com/pdfs/training/Splunk-Test-Blueprint-Architect-v.1.1.pdf

0 Karma

suryaaruna

Hello Koshyk,

hope you are done with your Architect Exam. i am preparing for my recertification. Can you please guide me on this.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Just to post my experience of recert exam
1. I have done via proctor and was quite a great experience and was smooth. You need to get an ID via logging with your userid via the form: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/training/pearson-vue-registration-form.html
2. Register and book a date. It costs $125 + taxes per exam
3. I've prepared based on the blueprint and revised through the documentation.
4. The questions were quite generic in nature and NOT version specific or something. I felt the questions were more dependent on experience and knowledge rather than something you need to remember
5. The weightage shown in the blueprint is quite important.
6. Day before the exam I logged into PearsonVue and did the pre-req test. I have done from Macbook and it installs as a dmg with controls on camera and mic.
7. The proctored exam went smooth than I expected. They will ask for a CLEAN room, meaning nothing in desks (no pens/papers) except your driving license or passport. Prefer to wear short sleeve shirt as they asked me to roll my arms. Any wallpaper paintings they asked me to show laptop camera closeby. Had a 360scan using my laptop camera. (login in 15-20mins before your exam start to do all these)
8. Exam lasted for 90mins and you have option to flag questions and re-answer them later. But the time is quite sufficient for the questions.

jpalacian
Path Finder

Hi koshyk,
I've just asked for the same to ansif, but where did you find enough information, docs, pdfs to prepare your exam?

Thanks in advance!

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

From your answer I understood that ,we need to refer the blueprint syllabus and its weightage (number of questions in each topics) and refer splunk docs for each topics. Hope this alone helps me to pass the exam(no need to refer slides of the courses).
I have few more questions:

Do I need to memorize all conf files properties and possible values?
Any scenario or usecase questions?like for a given environment how splunk architecture etc.
I am planning from pearson center,may I know number of questions and pass threshold?Is number of questions flexible or fixed for all?
Does we get any printed sheet of our performance on each topics?

Regards,

Ansif

0 Karma

jpalacian
Path Finder

Hi ansif
did you pass the exam?
where did you find enough docs and info to prepare your exam?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

As mentioned, no need to memorize conf file. the choices are more answerable within the questions itself. So a question about replication factor etc., the values/configs will be given within the question itself.

Also regarding the questions flexible/fixed, i'm guessing it is fixed at 90 questions. But that might be upto Splunk's discretion. We DON"T get performance of each topic. just pass or fail

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

Thanks for your quick response really appreciated. So after pass,you get all underlying certificates upgraded and in the portal right?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

that is correct. if you take architect cert, all your other certs will also be uplifted

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

@koshyk : Have you completed the re-certification? Please let me know your experience and materials you referred.

0 Karma

lwass
Explorer

@ansif do you have an email I can reach you on?

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

@lwass : May I know what it is regarding?

0 Karma

lwass
Explorer

@ansif I am studying for this exam as well. Was thinking we could share notes or something.

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

@lwass Good,When you are planning for the exam? I dont have any materials other than splunk docs.

As per Koshyks suggestion,I am looking on Blueprint and Splunk docs.

You can find me in Linkedin. 'Ansif Rahman'

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

@ansif, shared my experience as a post below. please let me know if you find it helpful

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

Thanks @koshyk appreciated.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hi

I recently gave the exam,
1) yes it is multiple choice
2) this official blueprint clearly explains what do you need to study and from where to study for the exam:
https://www.splunk.com/pdfs/training/Splunk-Test-Blueprint-Architect-v.1.1.pdf

let me know if this helps!

koshyk
Super Champion

thanks mate. upvoted

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...