All Apps and Add-ons

Qualys App for Splunk Enterprise: Why am I getting error "Could not get qualys_splunk_app credentials from splunk"?

lukasz92
Communicator

I try to enter credentials, but no data arrives.

I search index=_internal, and found this:

04-04-2016 13:42:48.550 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh" Exception: Could not get qualys_splunk_app credentials from splunk. Error: 'str' object has no attribute 'os_startIndex'
04-04-2016 13:42:48.550 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh"     % (myapp, str(e)))
04-04-2016 13:42:48.541 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh"   File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/../qualys_splunk_kb_populator.py", line 71, in getCredentials
04-04-2016 13:42:48.541 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh"     api_user, api_password = getCredentials(sessionKey)
04-04-2016 13:42:48.541 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh"   File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/../qualys_splunk_kb_populator.py", line 110, in <module>
04-04-2016 13:42:48.541 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh" Traceback (most recent call last):
04-04-2016 13:42:48.541 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/qualys_splunk_app/bin/qualys_kb_logger.sh" No handlers could be found for logger "splunk.rest.format"

I see stored password in https://mysplunkhost:8089/servicesNS/nobody/qualys_splunk_app/storage/passwords - it is correct and works with browser.

I tested it on Splunk 6.3 branch.

The app is not working.

0 Karma

vinay_kadagave
Explorer

Even i came across this problem. After checking multiple places one observation if the splunk is installed using root the app will work else it will have problems. I tried the same setup in test environment and the app was working without any issues where splunk was installed using root account.

0 Karma

nit123
Path Finder

It is recommended to store passwords in your splunk app as encrypted. Saving plain text password in properties.conf is a very bad idea and may be exploited by the bad guy.

Splunk provides a REST endpoint for securely storing credentials. More information is here: http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/03/15/storing-encrypted-credentials/

Follow the steps and secure your app in the Splunk way. It could also get decrypted password from Splunk using getEntities and appropriate calls.

Once you save the credentials from the setup page of your app, you will find an encrypted password in passwords.conf property file .

If above answer solves your problem or helps you take decisions better, feel free to award points on the button below.

0 Karma

Lindaiyu
Path Finder

hey,
which system do you run this Splunk?
could it be possible that file ".sh" has no permission?
I think this app works

0 Karma

lukasz92
Communicator

It is Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit).

App was reinstalled, and all .sh files have execute permission.

In this API endpoint, I see another stored password - it is from other app, with global permission. Maybe it is the reason of conflict?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...