Splunk Search

Process User input before search

jpenetra
Explorer

Hello,

I'd like to know if there's any possibility to process the user input before executing a search but without harming the performance. At the moment I have this two text inputs:

{% textinput id="originatorKey" value="$originatorKey$"|token_safe %}

{% textinput id="recipientKey" value="$recipientKey$"|token_safe %}

Now imagine the user inputs me@example.com as the originator and leaves the recipient empty. I want to search for every email sent from me@example.com.

The first idea that I had to make this work was with something like this:

{% searchmanager id="search1" search='index=testindex | eval orig="$originatorKey$" | eval recipient="$recipientKey$" | search ... ' %}

Perhaps using a where clause as well as len to determine if the origin or the recipient should be included or not. But I don't want to follow this path. By using search='index=testindex' the whole index is fetched and this takes a long long time.

Then I thought about this one:

search='index=testindex origin="$originatorKey$" OR recipient="$recipientKey$" | where ((len("$originatorKey$") > 0 AND origin="$originatorKey$") OR len("$originatorKey$")==0) AND ((len("$recipientKey$") > 0 AND recipient="$recipientKey$") OR len("$recipientKey$")==0)'

But it would be better if I could determine beforehand if I need to search for the origin and the recipient or just one of them.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Why not set a default for the input fields of * and use this search?

search='index=testindex origin="$originatorKey$" recipient="$recipientKey$"'

That way, if the user leaves one field empty, you will search for * instead, which seems much easier. Using your example, imagine the user inputs me@example.com as the originator and leaves the recipient empty. The search template would parse to

search='index=testindex origin="me@examplecom" recipient="*"'

which should find every email sent from me@example.com

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Why not set a default for the input fields of * and use this search?

search='index=testindex origin="$originatorKey$" recipient="$recipientKey$"'

That way, if the user leaves one field empty, you will search for * instead, which seems much easier. Using your example, imagine the user inputs me@example.com as the originator and leaves the recipient empty. The search template would parse to

search='index=testindex origin="me@examplecom" recipient="*"'

which should find every email sent from me@example.com

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...