Splunk Search

Porting from one machine to another

terryloar
Path Finder

I have a need to capture all of the Splunk work that I've done on one machine and move it to another machine. It's dev to dev, not an official deployment.

I tried copying the C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\local directory to the new machine, but the Dashboard & Views dropdown was the old one.

I also tried to copy $SPLUNK_HOME, but it did not get all of the files.

Any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated. The simpler, the better.

Thanks

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

There is a wiki article about this: Migrating a Splunk Install

But if the underlying operating system is the same, you can just copy the installation.
For example, in Linux, assuming that $SPLUNK_HOME is /opt/splunk' and you are running as the usersplunkIT`

# on the current machine
su splunkIT
cd /opt/splunk/bin
./splunk stop
cd /opt
tar -czf splunk.tgz splunk

# on the new machine (assumes that user splunkIT exists there as well)
# copy the splunk.tgz to /opt  using any method, and
# make sure that splunk.tgz is owned by splunkIT

su  splunkIT
cd /opt
tar -xzf splunk.tgz
cd splunk/bin
./splunk start

Note that this assumes that the Splunk indexes are also stored beneath the /opt/splunk directory. If they are not, you will have go through similar steps to copy them as well.

0 Karma

terryloar
Path Finder

I closed the browser and restarted splunk.exe restart from the command line. The menu items now appear.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...