Knowledge Management

Peering into other Splunks

a212830
Champion

Hi,

Our group needs to read data that is managed and stored in another Splunk in our company. The other splunk will have clusters, and a cluster-manager. It appears that there are two different ways to peer into indexers. The first is to add each indexer individually, entering a username/password for each connection. Not the optimal method, for obvious reasons. The second method appears to be to click on "Add a cluster to be searched", and then enter a "Master URI" and a "Secrety Key". I like the concept of this option, but I do have questions.

1. Does the query go through the cluster master, or just the authentication? Is it just one time, or for each query?
  2. What happens if the cluster master goes down?
  3. We need to setup filtering, so that only certain indexes are queried - is there any way to do this when connecting to a cluster? I'm assuming that it's using the admin account. Is there a way to have it connect using a different account?
Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

1) Does the query go through the cluster master, or just the authentication? Is it just one time, or for each query?
ANS: The search head queries cluster master to get generation ID and list of search peers. Once it's get that, it'll directly contact search peers directly from there on. It gets the updated list frequently but not for every time a search is initiated.

2) What happens if the cluster master goes down?
ANS: The search head will continue to work with previous list of peers it got. However, if cluster master is down and some other failure or issues happens in the indexer cluster, SH may search on incomplete dataset. See this for more information on this: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/Indexer/Whathappenswhenamasternodegoesdown

3) We need to setup filtering, so that only certain indexes are queried - is there any way to do this when connecting to a cluster? I'm assuming that it's using the admin account. Is there a way to have it connect using a different account?
ANS: You'd need an admin account/credentials to connect to indexer cluster. You should be able to restrict the indexes to be searched in your search head's authorize.conf for each role.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...