Knowledge Management

Partitioning

sullivans

Greetings,

I'm setting up Splunk on a Windows Server 2008 box with a 8 drives in a RAID 10. I am curious if it is better to use a single disk partition or if there is an advantage to breaking up the drives into 2 partitions (one for the OS/Apps and one for data).

Splunk documentation seems to indicate a single disk partition is preferred. This is an excerpt :

Splunk can use multiple disks and
partitions for its index data. It's
possible to configure Splunk to use
many disks/partitions/filesystems on
the basis of multiple indexes and
bucket types, so long as you mount
them correctly and point to them
properly from indexes.conf. However,
we recommend that you use a single
high performance file system to hold
your Splunk index data for the best
experience.

Is there any advantage of using two disk partitions over one?

Thanks!

0 Karma

hsesterhenn_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,
Splunk does not enforce or recommend a specific partitioning.

Usually from an operations point of view you seperate operating system stuff from data.

So create a single RAID1 for OS+Splunk basic stuff and put the indexes on a seperate RAID10 which is able to deliver 800IOPS+.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Capacity/IntroductiontocapacityplanningforSplunkE...

HTH,

Holger

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...