Splunk Search

Pair-wise Comparison Across Values of Different Fields

ikiril01
Engager

Splunk newbie here. What I'm trying to do is a pair-wise comparison across all of the values of two different fields, in order to find certain similarities. I already have an initial search which finds the events and values for these two fields, let's call them "foo" and "bar", but the pair-wise comparison aspect is eluding me so far.

Some more info:

• Both "foo" and "bar" are regular/non-multi value fields
  • "Foo" and "bar" are mutually exclusive - an event can have one or the other, but not both
  • "Foo" and "bar" both contain string values

More precisely, what I need to go is generate all of the combinations between the values of these two fields, so that I can do the comparison across them. For instance, if "foo" has values of "A" and "B", and "bar" has values of "C" and "D", I would need to compare "A" and "C", "A" and "D", "B" and "C", etc.

So theoretically my search would look something like:

initial_search|pairwise_comparison_stuff|where foo LIKE bar

I feel like this should be possible using streamstats or something of the like, but any help would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ikiril01
Engager

Update: I was able to generate my pair-wise comparison and get things working through map. However, I did find some weirdness in how map's search parameter handles rex expressions, which took quite a bit of debugging and testing to resolve. I'll probably submit a separate question/issue for that.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ikiril01
Engager

Update: I was able to generate my pair-wise comparison and get things working through map. However, I did find some weirdness in how map's search parameter handles rex expressions, which took quite a bit of debugging and testing to resolve. I'll probably submit a separate question/issue for that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...