Reporting

PDF server error: file does not begin wit %PDF-

bulliarda
Explorer

Hello, I'm trying PDF report server application on Splunk 4.1 on a Centos 5.4 x86_64 server. When I try to test the pdf, I receive the following errors: Adobe Reader: File does not begin with '%PDF-'

I tried with chrome,IE,firefox If I try with document viewer, I receive the following error: Unable to open document : Unhandled MIME type: "text/html"

Thank you

1 Solution

bulliarda
Explorer

It works now. The error was to copy the Splunk app from a windows pc to the centos machine. Sorry for noise.

View solution in original post

SplunkSE
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are some pre-installation requirements on CentOS that you will need to accommodate the app once it is installed. You will also need to specify the hostname perhaps instead of a FQDN, but read the following post that also talks about this... http://answers.splunk.com/questions/1945/pdf-server-404-and-file-does-not-begin-with-pdf

0 Karma

Michael
Contributor

Sorry, but I don't understand what the fix was. "Copy the Splunk app from a windows pc..."???

I'm running Enterprise on a Linux (RH) box. Just installed the PDF app per the directions. ("auto" install) Then I scheduled a PDF delivery, and got:

"An error occurred while generating a PDF of this report: Failed to generate PDF: Appserver got a 404 response while contacting the PDF server at /services/pdfserver/renderpdf - Check that the PDF Server app is installed and that reportServerURL is correct"

Back in the System Settings, Email Settings -- I try clicking on status page (to generate a test page, I presume) -- it passes all the tests ("true, true, true"), then opens Adobe Reader (8.2.2) with an error box of:

File does not begin with '%PDF-'

Thanks in advance!

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

I have installed it on two different servers...installed via "Launcher" -> "Browse more apps". On one box it works fine. On the second one, i get the same %PDF- Error box.

0 Karma

Michael
Contributor

Oh. I get it. I just added it ("auto") install. I guess I'll try a manual one...

0 Karma

bulliarda
Explorer

Hi Mykil_j, the first time I downloaded the app and untar it on my windows xp pc. I then used scp to copy it to centos. That was not working (permissions maybe or corruption). What I did next was to copy directy the tar to the centos and then unter it on centos. Which worked much better. I don't know if it can help you.

0 Karma

bulliarda
Explorer

It works now. The error was to copy the Splunk app from a windows pc to the centos machine. Sorry for noise.

Justin_Grant
Contributor

hi @bulliarda - if your own response answered the question, don't forget to click the checkmark next to your own answer so folks will know that it's solved. You might have to wait a day or two before the system will let you check it, though. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...