Splunk Dev

Ordering Events that arrive with the same timestamp but are out of order

x213217
Explorer

I have a few instances where I will get status events for when jobs are running very quickly and appear as the same timestamp in splunk. When this happens I will get a RUNNING status event after a SUCCESS event, which in fact should be reversed. I am doing processing to get the latest status for certain jobs and this causes a problem with that.

Here is an example below, as you see the two events have an identical timestamp but have been pulled in in reverse order. How do i properly get the latest event when the timestamp is shared like this?

alt text

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sdchakraborty
Contributor

what about sorting by index time? This is how you get index time even though your _time is same but indextime will not be same.

| eval indextime=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| sort - indextime

dottey

This did work for me. I wonder if it would "break" if we ever have to backfill data, though.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Looks like you need to add ms to your logging for better granularity and correct ordering. Your jobs are running and completing in under a second. Nothing Splunk can do to fix this

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

You can |sort - _time statusCode

0 Karma

x213217
Explorer

Unfortunately cannot use that field to sort as for events for Starting Running & Success statuses...these have statusCodes of 3, 1, 4 respectively so the order does not match an increasing pattern

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

you can assign your own values, using eval and if and sort based on new field.

eval status=if(statusCode=1,P2,if(statusCode=3,P1, if(statusCode=4,P4)))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...