All Apps and Add-ons

Nmon splunk app:Calculations for average are defying the logics of Math

Ankitha_d
Path Finder

Hi ,

We have installed the splunk forwarder to calculate the cpu usage on few aix servers.
This is the stats observed in the following selection of NMON app:

UI LPAR Pool, Pool Virtual CPU Usage (AIX)
weekly average shown in NMON 0.46
thu 14 0.37
fri 15 0.37
sat 16 0.37
sun 17 0.36
mon 18 0.37
tue 19 0.39
wed 20 0.39
How can we have overall average more than the average of each day.Any spike also should be smoothened out.This is a really confusing issue which I am unable to tackle.

0 Karma
1 Solution

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello !

Right, could you give more details about the selection you have done within the interface ? Have you selected any time filtering ?
Maybe there is a mistake somewhere in the User Interface that would explain this, giving me the detail of your selection will help.

Between this, please have a look on the How interface provided within the App (Howto menu in the app bar), you will find a dedicated dashboard that provides SPL search samples.

HOWTO LPAR: Generate stats and charts with Splunk Search Processing Language (SPL) for IBM Pseries Pools

If i well understand what you want to get, you can do things like:

Global stats over the period, result in a table stats

eventtype=nmon:performance type=LPAR host=<myserver> PoolIdle>0
| eval usage=round((poolCPUs-PoolIdle),2)
| eval Pool_id=if(isnull(Pool_id), "0", Pool_id)
| stats min(usage) AS "Min Pool CPU usage", avg(usage) AS "Avg Pool CPU usage", max(usage) AS "Max Pool CPU usage" by frameID,Pool_id,hostname
| eval "Avg Pool CPU usage"=round('Avg Pool CPU usage', 2) | sort frameID,Pool_id,hostname

Per day stats over the period, result in a table stats (adding a | bucket _time span=1d and the _time in the by statement)

eventtype=nmon:performance type=LPAR host=<myserver> PoolIdle>0
| eval usage=round((poolCPUs-PoolIdle),2)
| eval Pool_id=if(isnull(Pool_id), "0", Pool_id)
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats min(usage) AS "Min Pool CPU usage", avg(usage) AS "Avg Pool CPU usage", max(usage) AS "Max Pool CPU usage" by _time, frameID,Pool_id,hostname
| eval "Avg Pool CPU usage"=round('Avg Pool CPU usage', 2) | sort frameID,Pool_id,hostname

You can also use timechart, or chart if the final result wanted is charting instead of table stats. (see examples in the Howto)

Note that you can also use the provided Pivot data model, open the model available in the Pivot menu within the app bar.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...