Splunk Dev

Newline in events

arpit_arora
Explorer

Hello, I have Splunk events (stacktrace) which have '\n' in them. I want these '\n' to appear as new lines (but not new event).

So for example, currently my event might look like

aaaaa \n bbbbb \n ccccc \n ddddd

I want this event to appear as follows.

aaaaa
bbbbb
ccccc
ddddd

I know we can use rex command for this at search time, but I want the events to be indexed with \n character stored as newline.

How can I do this at index time?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is generally done in props.conf on your indexers by setting SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false (yes, I know that might seem wrong) and LINE_BREAKER to a very carefully constructed RegEx that determines where to break them apart, for your sourcetype.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming when you say your can do the same at search time using rex mode=sed option, you can do the same at index-time using SEDCMD option in the props.conf. See this for more details:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.3/Data/Anonymizedata

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@arpit_arora, try to take your rex to fields.conf for configuring multi-value fields using TOKENIZER: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/ConfigureSplunktoparsemulti-valuefields

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...