Splunk Search

Move input to different index

rblalock

I have too many machines (almost 500) logging to a single index. I want to create a new index (which I know how to do) and configure some host inputs to write to the new index instead of the old one. All sources are syslog type on UDP 514.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

rblalock

OK, so I was expecting this to be a server-side solution. This looks like a client-side solution. Do I have that right?

0 Karma

johandk
Path Finder

Well... yes. Using a Heavy forwarder you can make it server side. Otherwise use the deployment server which manages all your forwarder configs centrally.

0 Karma

johandk
Path Finder

As per the docs:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad#Route_inputs_to_specif...

On the Universal or Heavy forwarder in inputs.conf (depending on the type of input):

[monitor://.../file1.log]
_TCP_ROUTING = group1

And then in outputs.conf:

[tcpout:group1]
server=server1:9997

Should work.. Untested. Examples stolen from docs. Let us know if this works...

EDIT

I have no idea whether the UDP input to TCP routing will work... Really curious to see how this pans out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...