Splunk Search

Mobile Access Server: Why can't I just access the Search & Reporting app within the Splunk Mobile App?

jodros
Builder

I have the Mobile Access Server up and running. I am able to log in and view dashboards and reports. I have a basic question and maybe I am missing something, but why can't I just access the Search app within the Mobile app? Why am I only able to access a dashboard or report? I was able to built a pseudo Search dashboard by creating a panel, adding a time picker and adding a text field. This seems silly. If anything I will continue to use the responsive nature of the regular web app.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Mobile Access Server isn't so much "Mobile Splunk Enterprise" as it is a way to guide the Splunk Mobile experience for Operational and Business Managers. In other words, the audience isn't power users or "creators of the content" it's mean for the customers of the content creators... the receivers of the content. You can of course take advantage of the alerting system to use it for more nerdier purposes... but the Mobile App isn't intended as a development environment. I use the browser on my phone and tablet to access the Splunk web for development... but your workaround is pretty clever.

I think if you check out the datasheet you'll get a better idea of who the intended audience is for use of the Mobile App:
https://www.splunk.com/content/dam/splunk2/pdfs/data-sheets/splunk-mobile-app-data-sheet.pdf

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

View solution in original post

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Mobile Access Server isn't so much "Mobile Splunk Enterprise" as it is a way to guide the Splunk Mobile experience for Operational and Business Managers. In other words, the audience isn't power users or "creators of the content" it's mean for the customers of the content creators... the receivers of the content. You can of course take advantage of the alerting system to use it for more nerdier purposes... but the Mobile App isn't intended as a development environment. I use the browser on my phone and tablet to access the Splunk web for development... but your workaround is pretty clever.

I think if you check out the datasheet you'll get a better idea of who the intended audience is for use of the Mobile App:
https://www.splunk.com/content/dam/splunk2/pdfs/data-sheets/splunk-mobile-app-data-sheet.pdf

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

jodros
Builder

Thank you for the explanation. I was hoping I would be able to access the core search app functionality along with the alerting push notifications. Also, this provides an additional tier to allow approved mobile devices access to Splunk without having to connect via VPN. I think it would be great to see more options with the Mobile Access server, including the ability to allow basic users access to dashboards and reports, while allowing power users access to full apps. Push notifications and possibilities of remote access were the primary reasons I was excited about this product.

Thanks

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

Bump. Any input would be appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...