Dashboards & Visualizations

Missing banner/bulletin capabilities

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does anyone have any idea why my system account can't create a new bulletin / banner message?

I don't see the ability to "Add new" for Bulletin / Banner Messages (manager/search/data/messages). I don't see which capability defines this in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/admin/authorizeconf.
(I'm running 5.0.2)

Tags (2)
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In 5.0.2, restart_splunkd also controls the ability to post Bulletin Messages.

Can anyone confirm if that is the case in all versions or just 5.0.2? If it's all versions then I'll submit a feature request to have it decoupled.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You need admin role to be able to create bulletin/banner messages.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yup - I have tried with both Admin role users AND the system account. Any other ideas?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's Manager » User interface » Bulletin Messages » Add new

and there's also this stanza in web.conf:

login_content = <content_string>
* Add custom content to the login page
* Supports any text including html 
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like now that we're on the same page we're out of luck on those ideas 😞

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. Your question is "I have admin permissions, but I can't see this feature in Manager." I am not sure why it wouldn't display in your admin role. 😞 And you are correct about login_content, I wasn't sure which type of message you wanted to display.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks ChrisG - I'm actually saying that there is no "Add new" at that location that you outlined. That's also where I expected to see it.

I believe the login_content field is for the login page, not for the banner messages - but let me know if I've assumed incorrectly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...