Monitoring Splunk

Migrating colddb buckets to new storage.

mgherman
Explorer

Hi,

In an attempt to increase the available storage for indexes, I am looking at moving the colddb indexes to an additional volume/LUN. I am looking at performing the following steps.

1. Suspend backups
  2. Copy indexes from $SPLUNK_DB/$INDEX_NAME/colddb to $NEW_VOL/splunk/var/lib/splunk/$INDEX_NAME/colddb
  3. Create $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/index.conf with an updated coldPath to match the above new directory.
  4. Restart Splunk.
  5. Delete buckets in the old coldPath location.

Is this the correct order, or should steps 2 & 3 be reversed?

Thanks,

Michael Herman

Tags (2)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The absolute safest approach would be to have splunkd down entirely for the duration of your move. That would avoid the potential of new cold buckets being created during your change.

If you just can't do that, your procedure above would probably be fine, as long as you look out for new cold buckets being created. The order you do steps 2 & 3 in doesn't specifically matter unless you include a restart in there.

But, again, I would probably take the safe road and do it all with Splunk down.

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The absolute safest approach would be to have splunkd down entirely for the duration of your move. That would avoid the potential of new cold buckets being created during your change.

If you just can't do that, your procedure above would probably be fine, as long as you look out for new cold buckets being created. The order you do steps 2 & 3 in doesn't specifically matter unless you include a restart in there.

But, again, I would probably take the safe road and do it all with Splunk down.

mgherman
Explorer

It appears to have worked fine, and subsequent bucket rolls have dropped them into the correct directory. Thanks for the response.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...