Deployment Architecture

Metadata results from this peer are incomplete: the peer has over 100000 entries

paycorp
Engager

When I go to the dashboard_live I get the following warning:

Metadata results from this peer are incomplete: the peer has over 100000 entries (see parameter maxcount under the [metadata] stanza in limits.conf), and it will only return metadata information for the first 100000 entries that it encountered. (sid=rt_1365991104.36)

What does this mean exactly and how can I fix it? I can see when I do a ps on the server that there are a few processes running for a long time with the sid in the warning. Which default search are they?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Linegod
Path Finder

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

"Metadata results from this peer are incomplete: the peer has over 100000 entries" message in the summary dashboard in large environment (SPL-58112). To work around this issue, increase the value of [metadata] maxcount=500000 in limits.conf."

View solution in original post

Linegod
Path Finder

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

"Metadata results from this peer are incomplete: the peer has over 100000 entries" message in the summary dashboard in large environment (SPL-58112). To work around this issue, increase the value of [metadata] maxcount=500000 in limits.conf."

splunksurekha
Path Finder

Hi,

I have increased the maxcount value to 5000000 but still I am getting the error

"Metadata results may be incomplete: 5000000 entries have been received from all peers (see parameter maxcount under the [metadata] stanza in limits.conf), and this search will not return metadata information for any more entries. (sid=rt_1427108700.117555)"

Please suggest a permanent fix for this issue.

Thanks
Surekha

0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

One of the metadata figures is events. It is easy to surpass 5M events.

0 Karma

Linegod
Path Finder

You really have over 5 million hosts or sourcetypes?

0 Karma

Ricapar
Communicator

How big can this number get?

I set mine to 5000000 (5 million), and I'm still getting the error.

0 Karma

LiquidTension
Path Finder

Thanks for the solution! I just created an app on my deployment server with the necessary override:
[metadata]
maxcount=500000

Deployed it to my search heads and the problem was solved immediately.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...