Getting Data In

MUST_BREAK_AFTER seems ignored

viraptor

I've got the following in the log file:

[80c729cb-d0fd-48a1-bdc8-f46219bce681] signed_in_user=abcdef
[80c729cb-d0fd-48a1-bdc8-f46219bce681] session_id=abcdef
[80c729cb-d0fd-48a1-bdc8-f46219bce681] method="GET" path="/cart" format="html"....

Only the last line format is known. The initial lines can contain any format. Otherwise, they will all start with the same uuid.

And the following settings for props:

[rails_lograge]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE =
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = false
KV_MODE = auto_escaped
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 250
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = \[[-0-9a-f]*\] method="[A-Z].*
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER =
MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE =
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
TIME_PREFIX = time="

The log uses the correct sourcetype, however I cannot get the line merging to work as expected. Each line is a separate entry in the search output and it looks like the SHOULD_LINEMERGE is just ignored, along with MUST_BREAK_AFTER.

What can I do to make these lines a single event?

(I'm using Splunk 6.1)

0 Karma

aakwah
Builder

Hello,

I've never used "MUST_BREAK_AFTER" before, you can use BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE instead, for the sample logs you have provided, the following conf. in props.conf is working fine:

[rails_lograge]
 BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = \[[-0-9a-f]*\] signed.*
 BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = false
 KV_MODE = auto_escaped
 MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 250
 SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
 TIME_PREFIX = time="

Regards

0 Karma

viraptor

This doesn't really fix my issue. I've got any number of different key-value pairs before the last line. They can be in any order and there isn't any known initial entry. The only known line is the last one.

0 Karma

aakwah
Builder

I gave a try again with your configuration in the question and it worked fine on version 6.5.3

I see that you are using version 6.1 this it could be the reason, and also it is not working on 6.2 as per the first test I did.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...