Monitoring Splunk

Lower Memory usage

JoshuaJohn
Contributor

I have a query that is being blocked from retrieving all relevant data due to policy to keep queries under 500mb, is there anyway I could optimize this query?

index=Nitro_server=xs_json earliest=-48h 
| rename hdr.nitro as nitro_loc 
| join type=inner 
    [ inputlookup nitro_loc.csv 
    | search TimeZone="C" OR "CDT" 
    | eval nitro_loc=case(len(STORE)==4,STORE,len(STORE)==3,"0".STORE,len(STORE)==2,"00".STORE,len(STORE)==1,"000".STORE) ] 
| search Model="*v10*" nitro_loc="*" FirmwareVersion = * 
| dedup "Mac_Address" 
| stats count by FirmwareVersion TimeZone

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What all fields are you getting from lookup nitro_loc.csv? On what field you're doing the join?

0 Karma

JoshuaJohn
Contributor

I am doing the join on nitro_loc which is a 4 digit number, and I am trying to get timezone out of the csv.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this try

index=Nitro_server=xs_json Model="*v10*" FirmwareVersion = * earliest=-48h 
| fields hdr.nitro "Mac_Address" FirmwareVersion
| dedup "Mac_Address" 
| eval nitro_loc=tonumber('hdr.nitro') as nitro_loc 
| search nitro_loc="*"
| lookup nitro_loc.csv nitro_loc OUTPUT TimeZone
| stats count by FirmwareVersion TimeZone

changes done
1) Moved filters to base search wherever possible
2) Added fields command to only keep the fields that'll be used in search.
3) Moved dedup earlier in the search so that subsequent operations are happening on only required events
4) Instead of formatting lookup table column nitro_loc (which will require join), formatted search data field to be number and did regular lookup.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Generally try to avoid join whenever possible. Have you explored just using nitro_loc.csv as a regular lookup using the lookup command here?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...