Reporting

Looking for a list of hosts reported on all possible sourcetypes/indexes

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

I have a set of hosts (hosts.csv) and I want to find out all the possible sourcetypes or indexes are reporting on those hosts. Assuming all hosts are configured properly for all sourcetypes or indexes, I tried to use metadata query, but the index field is missing from the query.

| metadata type=hosts index=* | search [|inputlookup hosts.csv| fields host]

The query returned the result which is missing the indexes

firstTime   host        lastTime    recentTime  totalCount  type
    1491509278   1.1.1.1    1492203261  1492203261  22         hosts
    1491509277   1.1.1.2    1492203241  1492203241  29         hosts
    1491509276   1.1.1.3    1492203241  1492203241  14         hosts
    1491509292   1.1.1.4    1492203228  1492203228  20         hosts

Does anyone know there are other ways to achieve goal?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ravan
Path Finder

tstats is super fast and ideal choice to generate the list. But if you are looking for indexing volume along with that , metric data is the best pace to search.

Ex:

index="_internal" idx=* sourcetype=splunkd source="*license_usage.log"|stats min(_time) AS firstTime max(_time) AS lastTime,sum(b) as bytes_indexed by h idx st |convert ctime(*Time)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Of all the answers, I like @mmodestino's best - tstats is fast and accurate. metadata can return incomplete results in a larger/busy environment, and the normal index=* search is slow.

All of these solutions use the host that is supplied by the parsing process. Imagine that you have a server that is a log repository - perhaps it is a file server with log files from a bunch of different machines. When you set up the forwarder, you should properly set the host to the name of the originating machine. And the name of the originating machine will be used in the tstats or whatever.

That's great if you want to measure how much data / which sourcetypes / etc. is coming from each original host. But if you want to measure forwarder traffic, look at the Monitoring Console. Or make your own search, perhaps something like this:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=LicenseUsage 
| stats sum(b) as b by idx host h s st 
| rename host as sourceServer 
| rename h as host s as source st as sourcetype idx as index
| eval MB = round(b/1024/1024,1) | fields - b
0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey SplunkRocks2014!

When reporting on what's in Splunk, you will want to use the tstats command.

Check out meta woot! app and the scheduled search it runs. Provides some great info to help you account for what is in your Splunk instance!

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2949/#/details

| tstats count min(_time) as firstTime, max(_time) as lastTime, max(_indextime) as recentTime by host, sourcetype, index

- MattyMo

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

Hi mmodestino, thank you for your information.

The app, Meta woot!, doesn't work from my environment even the Splunk version is matched to the requirement. However, I captured some searches from the URL, basically, it uses "... index=&form.sourcetype=&form.host=*&form.filter=where%20recentTime>(now()-86400)&form.latency=latency> ... ", this will be very slow. And the tstats query always return 15 records from os and main indexes regardless the timerange.

| tstats count min(_time) as firstTime, max(_time) as lastTime, max(_indextime) as recentTime by host, sourcetype, index

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version of Splunk are you running??

Not sure why you are looking at the url... You can see the searches under saved searches...The search they use is not slow...its | tstats.

| tstats count min(_time) as firstTime, max(_time) as lastTime, max(_indextime) as recentTime where _index_earliest=-10m@m _index_latest=-5m@m (`meta_woot_host_filter`) (`meta_woot_sourcetype_filter`) (`meta_woot_index_filter`) by host, sourcetype, index
| eval host=lower(host)
| eval _time=now()-300
| collect sourcetype=meta_woot index=`meta_woot_summary`
| fields - _time count
| eval hash=md5(host.sourcetype.index)
| lookup meta_woot hash OUTPUTNEW _key as _key, firstTime as firstTimekv
| eval firstTime=if((isnotnull(firstTimekv) AND firstTimekv

I don't think you should re-invent the wheel here, especially if your reason for not using meta woot is that are on an old version, so just start simple with this

| tstats count WHERE index=* by index, host, sourcetype

- MattyMo
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi splunkrocks2014,
I'm not sure to had understood your need: do you want to know all the indexes and all the sourcetypes of each host?
If this is you need try something like this:

index=* | stats values(index) AS index values(sourcetype) AS sourcetype count by host

if instead you want to know the count of each group host, index, sourcetype, you can try something like this

index=* | stats count by host, index, sourcetype

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

Thanks Giuseppe. Initially, I used the same way to pull the host per index or sourcetype; however, the performance is terribly slow due to the huge environment. Also, the hosts.csv can contain more than 200k records.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can use wildcard characters for index and multiple indexes. Following is an example from Splunk documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Metadata#Optional_arguments

| metadata type=hosts index=cs* index=na* index=ap* index=eu

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

Hi Niketnilay, this is the same query I am using, | metadata type=hosts index=*, but the resultset doesn't include the index. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...