Reporting

lohit
Path Finder

Hi,

We have a splunk distributed architecture (seperate instances for Search heads and indexers). I would like to know how to achieve integrity of logs stored in splunk indexer as if i am correct Features like 'IT block signing' and 'Event Hashing' doesnot work in distributd architecture.

Please help

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You are partially correct. From the Securing Splunk manual;

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/ITDataSigning

"Block signing is not supported for distributed search." 

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Security/Eventhashing

"You should use event hashing only if you don't have the capability to run Splunk's IT data block signing feature; individual event hashing is more resource intensive than data block signing.

Note: Event hashing is not available for cluster configurations. "

/K

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I need to be sure that logs are not modificed.
I have to use eventHashing instead Block Signing because Block Signing ins't supported with a distributed search.
I have one Search Head and two Indexers, Indexers are not clustered (because eventHashing doesn't work with clusters).
I waited for Search Head works with hashed events, instead I see events on Indexers but I don't see the same events on the Search Head.
Why this?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

ok. thank you. I would like to know about archieving logs to AWS S3.Will the configuration of archival location in config files and steps listed in documentation for restoring logs back in Splunk will work for S3 ?

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Aah, you said 'distributed architecture' in your question, and did not mention that the indexers were clustered. To answer your question; probably not. I have not tried it.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Kristian,

I have two indexers which are clustered together. So will event hashing work ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...