Dashboards & Visualizations

Key indicator question

matt1t
Explorer

I created a key indicator and when I click the preview button I get the results I want:alt text

However, when I add this to my dashboard it will not show the results, any idea why?

Here is what my dashboard shows.
alt text

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

matt1t
Explorer

I figured it out, however this makes no sense. Many examples on the key indicators start with search and then the actual search. Example would be "search index=some_index earliest=-3d@d blah blah blah". With the search in front my preview works, but the results are missing on the dashboard. If I take the search out of it, the preview no longer work, however its now working on my dashboard. I don't know what made me try that but I now have my dashboard working so I'm happy. Maybe someone can explain the difference?

Thanks,

-Matt

View solution in original post

0 Karma

matt1t
Explorer

I figured it out, however this makes no sense. Many examples on the key indicators start with search and then the actual search. Example would be "search index=some_index earliest=-3d@d blah blah blah". With the search in front my preview works, but the results are missing on the dashboard. If I take the search out of it, the preview no longer work, however its now working on my dashboard. I don't know what made me try that but I now have my dashboard working so I'm happy. Maybe someone can explain the difference?

Thanks,

-Matt

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@matt1t once the search query runs, how are you moving the panel to your dashboard? Are you using Save as Dashboard option or are you merging the search <query> manually? By any chance are you using Post-Processing in the dashboard?

matt1t
Explorer

I wonder is this is the issue. So when I click on the preview, my search runs and I get the data I expect. If I'm within the Content Management section and look at the info for my key indicator I get the following stats:

Statistics
Avg. Event Count ..... 17.36
Avg. Result Count ..... 0
Avg. Run Time ....... 0:00:02
Invocations ....... 25
Skipped ........ 0
Success ........0
Update Time ........ Jan 6, 2020 10:30:00 AM

So no successes and 25 invocations? What are invocations and how can I fix this?

0 Karma

matt1t
Explorer

On the dashboard I click edit, and then it has a plus sign which then loads a Add Indicators. I choose the indicator I created and then its added.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...