Splunk Search

Is there a way to make an appended search (or subsearch) respect the outer search's sample constraint?

dadkinson
Explorer
"XXX targeting service enabled" | stats count as ALL | appendcols [search "exception calling XXX targeting" | stats count as EXC] | eval ratio=ALL/EXC

Search works fine and generates correct ratio when no sampling is made, but if I want to sample, the outer search is fine but the inner runs through the complete event space.

no sample:
ALL: 12182689
EXC: 83363
ratio: 146.140242

1:1000 sample:
ALL: 12108
EXC: 83363
ratio: 0.145244

Easy enough to interpret but it'd be good to know if there's a way to enforce sampling throughout the complete search.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi dadkinson,

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the stats command is not a good candidate for event sampling. Please refer to the documentation here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Retrieveasamplesetofevents#Commands_and_fun...

Thanks
Hunter

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi dadkinson,

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the stats command is not a good candidate for event sampling. Please refer to the documentation here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Retrieveasamplesetofevents#Commands_and_fun...

Thanks
Hunter

0 Karma

dadkinson
Explorer

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that note. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...