Security

Is there a way to index SSL certificate (.cer) file using Universal Forwarder?

prakhersinghal
Explorer

Hello,
I have a certificate file that I want to index in Splunk. The file reside in "D:\somedir\name.cer"

I have tried to create a monitor stanza in inputs.conf but it's not showing up in Splunk.

[monitor://D:\somedir\name.cer]
sourcetype = CERTS
crcSalt = < SOURCE>
disabled = false
followTail = false
index = CERT_INDEX

But the files doesn't show up in Splunk? Is there a different way to monitor certificate files?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This wont work on UF, but take a look at this app : https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3172/#/details

It might be of interest to you. For your monitor statement, its correct, however that cert file is not a standard sourcetype that Splunk will recognize out of the box. Do you have a props defined for these files? You'll need to setup multiline and linebreaking.

0 Karma

prakhersinghal
Explorer

Thanks @esix_splunk for the response. I will try that app.

Regarding the source type, I have not defined anything on the props.conf file but when I query the data in Splunk, I can see my defined source types available under "sourcetype" field.

Actually, my source types are generated by a script based on JVM name and is set on inputs.conf during forwarder setup.
Is this not the right way of doing it?

0 Karma

prakhersinghal
Explorer

or may be I need to define custom fields and define source types based on data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...