All Apps and Add-ons

Is there a manual available for this App?

dannux
Path Finder

I am trying to setup *Nix app. However, I am having a hard time understanding it.

Ideally, I want to use this app to monitor multiple Unix/Linux server. However, I am not sure how to do that or where. I was searching for some documentation about this but I was unable to find it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There should be some instructions in the README file within the app.

The *Nix app goes on top of a standard Splunk installation. If you are monitoring a single machine that is also the same machine running Splunk, then you can simply install the app on top of that same Splunk machine. The app consists of configurations that gather system information and send them to an index called "os".

If you have other machines and you want to send their data to this same Splunk installation (for searching and indexing), then you would set them up to be Splunk Forwarders that have the *Nix app installed on top of them.

Note: Splunk can perform four basic functions: Indexing, Searching, Forwarding, and acting as a Deployment server. The same binary/build will do one, all, or a mix of these functions. Hope that helps clarify things.

dannux
Path Finder

Thank you for your answer.

Can I run the scripts from this app remotely to other servers and capture information to be displayed in the dashboards of the Splunk server? I cannot install Splunk in the servers that I want to monitor.

Is that possible? I really like the way the application presents the data.

Thank you,
Dan

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...