Splunk Search

Is it possible to use max_match inside a datamodel rex definition?

tonniea
Explorer

In the definition of a datamodel, I would like to use a regular expression with argument max_match=10 or max_match=0. In the datamodel editor this doesn't seem to be possible.

Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Reposting the comment of @tonniea so it doesn't get lost 🙂

In the field definition of the datamodel for your rex field you find this:

"calculationType":"Rex","expression":"(?[^<]?)<"},{"outputFields":[{"fieldName":"cpu_load","owner":"cpu2","type":"string","fieldSearch":"","required":false,"multivalue":false*,"hidden":false...etc

If you change the "multivalue" attribute to true, import the datamodel and restart Splunk this appears to be working as intended.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Reposting the comment of @tonniea so it doesn't get lost 🙂

"calculationType":"Rex","expression":"(?[^<]?)<"},{"outputFields":[{"fieldName":"cpu_load","owner":"cpu2","type":"string","fieldSearch":"","required":false,"multivalue":false*,"hidden":false...etc

If you change the "multivalue" attribute to true, import the datamodel and restart Splunk this appears to be working as intended.
0 Karma

monteiroh
Explorer

did u get this to work?

0 Karma

tomaszwrona
Explorer

Hi,

i have tried this approach, changed multivalve to true and restarted Splunk. Sadly it didn't work in 7.2.6.
Is there something different? How else can I put into data model regular expression fields with max_match=0?

Best regards
Tomasz

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Without trying - the datamodels are saved as a file, maybe you can try to manually manipulate/add that setting there?

tonniea
Explorer

Thanks for the hint. In the JSON export I found a multivalue option that I'm going to try. Too bad this isn't accessible via the editor.

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Good to know. Now that you have the details at hand, you could post an answer to your own question so others Googling for it can profit of your experience 😉

0 Karma

tonniea
Explorer

Yep, sure...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...