All Apps and Add-ons

Is it possible push notifications to Splunk mobile app even after user logs out of splunk app?

purnavenkatesh
Explorer

Greetings,

I have configured splunk alert notification to mobile app. Alerts are only triggered when the user is logged-in to mobile app. Is there a way to trigger the alert to mobile app irrespective of user's login?

0 Karma

roym_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, it makes no sense that an user received a push notification that not belongs to him, and would have some security concerns.

0 Karma

purnavenkatesh
Explorer

Hi,

I agree with your point.

Let me re-phrase my question.

I have some users who will be using the mobile app to check the business statistics through some measures. We have created dashboards for same. Users cannot keep on monitoring the mobile dashboards 24X7. And so, alert notifications should be sent in case of critical alerts even when they are logged out of mobile app.

Can you guide me achieve this?

0 Karma

roym_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think Splunk Mobile Access can work for this case.
As long as the user logs in the Splunk Mobile App.

The login here means, he/she inputs the correct credential and the Splunk host, click the sign in button to go to the home page, subscribe the alert, etc.

Then even if the mobile app is in the background or killed by the system, the Splunk Mobile App still can leverage the push notification service of Apple and Google to get notification in time.

So about the original question: when the user logs out, I think he won't receive the notification any more.
The logout here means, the user explicitly go to the setting page, and click the logs out button. It doesn't mean the user clicks the home button to make the app in the background. This won't make the app sign out.

If what you mean is exactly when the user logs out (click the sign out button), he/she'd like to receive the notification, I can not think about a case of that. Can you explain more?

0 Karma

purnavenkatesh
Explorer

Exactly, I mean the first scenario. In this, there are two cases.

1. User logged in and the mobile app is running on background.
  2. User logged in and after some time mobile session was killed either by users/system.

Requirement: In both the cases user should receive notification.

1. I tested the case one and the test was successful. I am able to get the notification alert.

2. 2nd test was failed. When I killed the splunk background program/session on my mobile, Notification alerts were stopped. I am not sure if this has something to do with SSO.

When I was checking the documentation for "Splunk® Add-on for Mobile Access Installation and Configuration" (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MobileAddon/2.4.0/Install/SSOConfiguration)

I ignored the SSO part and jumped into "configuring of mobile app".

0 Karma

roym_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Got it. In normal case, 2nd test won't fail. There shall be something wrong. Could you please file a Salesforce ticket, so that the mobile dev team can be involved to take a look at your issue. Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...