Deployment Architecture

Install java in search heads in kubernetes

shashank_trip

I am trying to install java on my splunk search head in kubernetes. As indicated in previous forums, I tried adding the JAVA_VERSION environment variable and set it to openjdk:8 but that does not seem to install java on my kubernetes pod. Can someone guide me to the steps to install java on my pod with the splunk:latest image?

I saw a few ansible scripts which installs java but not in the search head yaml found under https://github.com/splunk/docker-splunk/blob/develop/test_scenarios/kubernetes/3idx1sh1cm-pvc/splunk... which is what I have deployed in my cluster.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't "install" java to a Docker container, you build it into the base OS image. If the image you're using does not contain java, then you'll need to update the Makefile and rebuild your image.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

shashank_trip

Thanks @codebuilder for your response. I am trying to set it up on kubernetes using the splunk/splunk:latest image and I tried setting the JAVA_VERSION env variable to "openjdk:11" but that does not seem to bake java into the image via ansible scripts. Any thoughts on what might be up there?

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. Java is not installed on the Docker image you are using. Try another image or update the Makefile to include it, and rebuild the image.

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There appear to have been some known issues on this topic as well, resolved with the Debian 10 image.

https://github.com/splunk/splunk-ansible/pull/244

----
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...