Splunk Dev

Injecting CVS commits to Splunk index

rpolak

Is there a technique to insert CVS commit logs to a Splunk Index. By default a CVS log isn't a time series file as it has each file managed opening a record and than is followed by the individual commits.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

Oh wow, I read this as CSV until I saw your example...

With some of my Git repos I log on repo push (which is effectively a commit on the master repo) with the 'post-update' hook. I haven't looked at CVS for years, but if I recall correctly, it has a hook mechanism that you could use similarly. I use logger which logs to syslog, so I only use the first line of the commit message, which by convention in the Git world is a summary or subject. If you want to index the whole commit message, you'll probably need to use a Splunk forwarder.

Here it is in the cvsbook.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I guess I don't know what a CVS log actually looks like, but it seems to me like each file has its own time-series log?

0 Karma

rpolak

This is an example of a CVS log:

http://sharetext.org/M8nW

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...