Splunk Search

Index viewable in Events but not in Statistics

Lucas_Henry_

I can see events from two indexes in the Events section, but my Statistics shows only events from one of the indexes. Are there common issues that can cause this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It sounds like your search is making some assumptions about the fields present, and somehow those assumptions are only true for the one index.

in stats .... by host index sourcetype splunk_server permission_type fillnull

Obviously host, index, sourcetype and splunk_server will always be defined on all the incoming event rows. However i the extraction for permission_type isn't working right for the data in the other index or if the (very strange looking) "fillnull" field isn't really a field, then any rows with null values for either field will get thrown away. If none of the rows contain any value for permission_type or "fillnull" then you'll get no result rows out of that stats command.

I would just look at the field values directly index=sterling | stats count by fillnull or even index=sterling | table fillnull permission_type. If there are null values anywhere, that extraction or that lookup field or what-have-you, will be your culprit.

0 Karma

PPape
Contributor

Can you show the search you are running?

0 Karma

Lucas_Henry_

index=sterling | eval host=lower(host) | eval permission_type=lower(permission_type) | stats earliest(_time) as earliest latest(_time) as latest values(source) as sources by host index sourcetype splunk_server permission_type fillnull | convert ctime(earliest) ctime(latest) | table index host sourcetype earliest latest sources splunk_server permission_type | sort host

0 Karma

Lucas_Henry_

The indices are "sterling" and "sterling_nonprod". Sterling_nonprod is the only index that works with this search

0 Karma

PPape
Contributor

First of all only to get it right...
you run this search two times? Once with index=sterling once with index=sterling_nonprod right?
(only if not try "index=sterling OR index=sterling_nonprod")

Second is the attribute permission_type available in both of your indexed datasets (indexes)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...