Deployment Architecture

Index a Data base log without any DB connect

deepthi5
Path Finder

Hello i have got Data base log with me extracted as txt file can i onboard this to splunk and query it to form dashboards withou any splunk apps like DB connect and once i am good with this can we have forwarder installed on DB machine and pull these logs to splunk

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Yes, absolutely. The DBConnect app is for collecting data from inside a relational database, not for collecting the database logs.

For any log file (or other text file), you can use the Splunk input settings to read the file; you don't need an app for that. If you want to test a particular log file, you can copy it to your Splunk server and index it as a local file. Once you are good with that, you can use a forwarder with the same inputs.conf to collect the live logs and send them to your Splunk server. Again, no apps are required.

However, sometimes you will find that there is an app on Splunkbase (www.splunkbase.com) that will do exactly what you want: collect the log files, parse them and provide some interesting reports. So it's always worth checking but it is never required.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...