Security

Index Volume, Licence Use Question

hartfoml
Motivator

I am using this search to find volume for systems reporting to one index

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log" per_index_thruput series="Customer_Index_group" | stats sum(kb) as kb_indexed | eval GB = round(kb_indexed/1024/1024,2) | gauge GB 0 7 14 21 28

I can then search the metrics logs reported from the systems like this

index="Customer_Index" source="*metrics.log" per_index_thruput series="Customer_Index_group" | stats sum(kb) as kb_indexed | eval GB = round(kb_indexed/1024/1024,2) | gauge GB 0 7 14 21 28

However these two numbers are very different.
Granted the search on the _internal index runes much faster, but my users do not have access to the _internal index and they would like to know who much data there index is using. I see a volume that is much larger on the search form index=_internal than they can see using index="Customer_Index".

Why would the _internal index show more than the info from the $splunk/etc/var/log/splunk/metrics.log?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You give their role access to _internal and add this to their search restriction terms:

(index!=_internal OR (source=*metrics.log series="Customer_Index"))

In this fashion you could also give them access to their entire UF logs by adding their hosts (or a host tag) here.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Admin/Addandeditroles#Search_filter_format

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...