Splunk Search

Increase subsearch results limits when using join

manish_singh_77
Builder

Hi All,

I have data coming in from different indexes and am joining them on the common field. Data is huge, so when I join the sub searches it doesn't give the full results. Can we increase the subsearches results count to max when using join command.

Regard
Manish Singh

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The best answers is: Don't. Use stats instead. Show some sample events in each data set, then show us a mockup of the desired results and describe any nuances. We will get you a non- join method. See here for general approaches:

https://conf.splunk.com/files/2016/slides/let-stats-sort-them-out-building-complex-result-sets-that-...

0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

Hi Niket/Woodcock,

I am trying to bring in data from different indexes and then trying to match with the application inventory so that I will have one table where in I could see the check list of 4-5 columns which am looking for, like whether we are getting any data in splunk for app, infra and alerts from alerting tool in splunk.

Here is the output would be like

Application Name  Infra_Data  App_Data   Events_Data   Appdynamics_Data
ABC               Yes         No         Yes           Yes

Here is the mock query,

| inputlookup Application_Inventory
| where Application="PROD" 
| rename Server as host 
| join type=left host 
[search (index=linux_windows_os*) OR (index=xyz_*) OR (index=applications_data-*) OR (index=applications_info*)  earliest=-24h@h latest=now() 
| stats latest(_time) as latest_time values(host) as host by index 
| eval current_time=now() 
| eval Time_difference=(current_time-latest_time) 
| eval Validation=if(TimeDiff>86400,"No","Yes") 
| eval latest_time=strftime(latest_time,"%F %T"), current_time=strftime(current_time,"%F %T"), TimeDiff=strftime(TimeDiff,"%S") 
| dedup index 
| table index Validation host 
| eval Indexes=case(index like "%applicatons_%", "App_data",index like "%linux_windows_%","Infra Data"|mvexpand host|xyseries host Indexes Validation]|table App_data "Infra Data", Application_Component_Name, PlatformName|join type=left Application_Component[search index=*alerts_data* earliest=-24h@h latest=now()|eval AlertsData=if(Application_Component!= " ", "Yes","No")|table AlertsData, Application_Component|dedup Application_Component]|join type=left  Application_Component[|inputlookup AppDynamics_Data]

I have taken common fields to match the data with the Application_Inventory lookup.

Let me know if you guys have better options to achieve this or the question needs more clarification.

0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

@ Niket & Woodcockl,

Do you have any workaround for this?

Regards
Manish Singh

0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

@niketnilay @woodcock , hello mates, do you have any workaround for this?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The code that you posted is broken. It has an unterminated case statement and mis-matched square brackets. It is hopelessly broken so we cannot help until you fix it.

0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

Sorry, I should have posted this under comments section, my apologies..

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I moved it for you.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You may want to have a look at this thread discussing alternatives to join and subsearches. If you must, subsearch limits are configured in limits.conf.

manish_singh_77
Builder

I have gone through that thread before and it is not helping me..

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@manish_singh_777 if you have data in two separate indexes and you are using join it is highly possible you can bring in data from both the search at one place and use stats. However, please provide your existing search along with sample data and required output for us to assist you better. Please mock/anonymize any sensitive information before posting.

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then check the appropriate sections in limits.conf and increase the subsearch result count. It should be the setting subsearch_maxout under the join stanza.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...