Splunk Search

In what format should the rising_column be?

joshua_hart
Explorer

I'm using DB Connect to extract McAfee ePO events from a MS SQL database and I'm using an auto-increment field as the rising_column field to tail the database. When I do that, I receive the following DB Connect error:

2013-06-18 08:43:14.456 dbx9419:ERROR:TailDatabaseMonitor - Error while executing database monitor: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column name 'event_id'.
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column name 'event_id'.
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:372)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2820)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2258)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:632)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQLQuery(JtdsStatement.java:477)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsPreparedStatement.executeQuery(JtdsPreparedStatement.java:776)
at com.splunk.dbx.sql.Database.query(Database.java:203)
at com.splunk.dbx.monitor.impl.TailDatabaseMonitor.performMonitoring(TailDatabaseMonitor.java:113)
at com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DatabaseMonitorExecutor.executeMonitor(DatabaseMonitorExecutor.java:126)
at com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DatabaseMonitorExecutor.call(DatabaseMonitorExecutor.java:102)
at com.splunk.dbx.monitor.DatabaseMonitorExecutor.call(DatabaseMonitorExecutor.java:37)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

The event_id column is an alias of the EPOEvents.AutoID column, but when I use any of the following: [EPOEvents].[AutoID], EPOEvents.AutoID, [AutoID], AutoID, [EPOEvents].[event_id], or [event_id], the error reports that the field is not part of the resulting record set.

What is the format for specifying the rising_column field? Thanks!

-Josh

0 Karma

leppalaa
Engager

Hello,

Just in case you or someone else is still struggling with this:

The problem seems to be in the renaming of the event_id / EPOEvents.AutoID column.

I had the same problem and found a solution by wrapping the custom SQL select into another outer select and then using the event_id as the rising_column. This way, the correct "column" name (event_id) exists in the original data set and the resulting data set.

I did it like this, you can modify any part if needed. This works for me at least:

SELECT * FROM (

.... the query string from TA_mcafee comes here ...

) as outer_table
{{WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}}

I also needed to disable one of the columns that try to write to the login_user field in the mcafee query, because otherwise the outer SELECT would fail (two inputs for the same field name, login_user). You can see this problem by looking at the mcafee SQL query. I disabled the select row by commenting out the SourceUserName column from the SQL statement, like this:
--[EPOEvents].[SourceUserName] as [logon_user],

This seems to do the trick for me at least.

steven87vt

did you ever get a solution working? I have the exact same issue.

0 Karma

joshua_hart
Explorer

I'm using a custom SQL query taken from the TA-mcaffee package. The query is found in the mcafee_epo.py.pymssql file. Instead of the top 10000 rows, I'm selecting all rows using the {{WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}} statement.

0 Karma

asimagu
Builder

it needs to be an increasing number

0 Karma

asimagu
Builder

Sorry, did not get what you were asking right. Maybe you can do a simple query to test that alias, Select only AutoID from the table and use it as a rising_column. If that works, try to make it more complex bit by bit

0 Karma

joshua_hart
Explorer

Right. What I wondering, is how should I format the field name that I define as my rising_column? The field I'm using is an increasing number, but I always get one of the following errors regardless of how I format the field name: "Field name not found in result set" or "Invalid column name"

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

Please provide more info about the settings you chose for the database input. Are you using a custom query?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...