Security

In trying to sign in on Splunk, why am I getting the following "you've forgotten your username" error?

godman
Path Finder

I don't have LDAP set up and — using Splunk authentication — when I try to login, the web UI sometimes returnes an ERROR First time signing in? And when i try with the admin password it's also giving me the same Error.

This is the error message I am getting when i try giving my username and password or the admin password it's not working

Username: admin
Password: Use the password that you created during installation.
If you've forgotten your username or password, please contact your Splunk administrator.

Anyone encountered this issue?

Thanks for any help!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

godman
Path Finder

I solved this by adding my admin password in $SPKUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/user-seeds.conf
[user_info]
PASSWORD =
and backed up the current passwd file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/
Now restart the splunk and login with the default password with the changeme , you can also copy the old user information if you have any from the file passwd

View solution in original post

0 Karma

godman
Path Finder

I solved this by adding my admin password in $SPKUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/user-seeds.conf
[user_info]
PASSWORD =
and backed up the current passwd file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/
Now restart the splunk and login with the default password with the changeme , you can also copy the old user information if you have any from the file passwd

0 Karma

godman
Path Finder

This is the Error I am getting and when i try giving my username and password or the admin password it's not working
First time signing in?

Username: admin
Password: Use the password that you created during installation.
If you've forgotten your username or password, please contact your Splunk administrator.

0 Karma

Dawson014
Path Finder

would appreciate the error screenshot or atleast the message.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What exactly is the error?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...